Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Donations for Darfur

This past Sunday was the National Day for Darfur, and demonstrations took place all across the country. I attended one near my hometown. One of my best friends from the Darfur Rehabilitation Project sent me this information about what good your money can do.

  • $35 can provide two high-energy meals a day to 200 children
  • $50 can provide vaccinations for 50 people against meningitis, measles, polio, or other deadly epidemics
  • $100 can provide infection-fighting antibiotics to treat nearly 40 wounded children
  • $250 can provide a sterilization kit for syringes and needles used in mobile vaccination campaigns
  • $1000 can provide emergency medical supplies to aid 5,000 disaster victims for an entire month
Also, I sent my Save Darfur wristbands to David Cook, who is a contestant on American Idol. Hopefully, he'll receive them by tomorrow and wear one on the show. I asked him to wear one and give the other to an influential person of his choosing. So keep your eyes open on Tuesday and Wednesday for the green wristbands. I'm hoping that David Cook's fans (there are officially 876 of us as of today) will see that he cares about Darfur and will learn more about the crisis there and help to end it.

UPDATE: Not tonight . . . . I'm not worried though. They should get there by tomorrow.
UPDATE: Not tonight either, although last year's second runner-up, Eliot Yamin, was wearing a green wristband. I don't think it was one of mine or a different Save Darfur one, though, just a fluke.

No comments: